Truthfully this is a stupid standard that many women have and don't even realize it. Pretentiousness is at an all time high in women that think like this. Women who don't listen when their man says he's upset and when they finally do they go back and do that same thing that made him upset, yet again. Then act as if he's tripping when he tells them about it. Then have the nerve to get upset once he does something new they don't like while they continue to disregard an issue he had with you forever ago. That's why I hate the term "happy wife, happy life". It's the most selfish and sexist term ever. I also despise the "a man should be doing this" bull. About 99% of the things that are "gender roles", aren't. Funny how the man can cook and clean but the woman can't take the trash out or pump her own gas. We as men do these things to show you you're precious. Not for you to become arrogant and entitled and think you're owed that. Chivalry has been ruined by women just as much as it has by men.
Think about that next time you ignore or barely give any energy to the 10 things your man did but have the nerve to complain about the 2 things your man didn't do. Because most likely he does more than he doesn't do. But to see that you have to stop counting what he doesn't do.
*What most men do on the regular*
1. He goes to work
2. Pays for bills
3. Spends time with you
4. Stops what he's doing to come save you
5. Picks up your things you leave everywhere
6. Cleans your car
7. Gets gas for you
8. Asks you how your day is
9. Cleans up
10. Tells you he loves you daily
*What happens significantly less but you notice on the regular*
1. The day he called off after going in sick for a week
2. The time he couldn't pay a bill because he missed work. Or the time he immaturely paid for something frivolous over a bill as if you don't spend frivolously, probably more than him
3. The time he decides to spend less time with you so he can get some "me time"
4. The time he says "you made this choice and you have to deal with it so I'm not saving you this time"
5. The time you ASK him to pick up after you and he says no
6. The time he says he's not cleaning your car
7. The time he couldn't get gas because he was busy and you decide make it seem as if he just didn't do it, just to not do it
8. The time he doesn't ask you how your day was despite the fact you didn't ask him about his either
9. The time he didn't clean up
10. The time he was mad at you that made you feel like he didn't love you because he didn't want be around you. As if people don't get upset and as if when they're upset they don't get the urge to not want to be bothered with the person that made them upset.
Moral: We make the mistake of getting and staying with someone on the premise of what WE can GAIN or TAKE from them rather than what we have to OFFER them. Thus and ever going cycle of mediocre and even ended relationships exist because people can't realize they're not nearly as important as they think they are. Happiness is bred from love not selfishness.